true beauty IS skin deep
Beauty is such a desired characteristic. No matter where I am in the world, everyone seems to seek beauty. Unfortunately, the beauty we seek has been defined by the world, not God. At home, people (including me) invest so much time and money in beauty aids. Cosmetics, curling irons (for those with straight hair), straightening irons (for those with curly hair), dieting fixes, fancy clothes, razors and waxing, tanning agents, and even surgical procedures are just a few. In Bangladesh, seeking beauty produces the same pains, only most the desired characteristics are completely opposite. White and 'healthy' is the way to be. Whitening creams and cooking with lots of oil are good solutions for those who fall short and have the money to spend. Those who don't have the money have to face the riducule.
Last week, I began to understand the effects of this. Among my students, Shema (a beautiful, energetic 10-year old) argues with me everytime I mention the word, "Shoondor" (beautiful) in regards to her. "No Auntie" she'll reply as she wrinkle her nose. Then she points to her skin and says, "Kalo" (black). The world's view has insulted Shema's true beauty, and the biggest problem is that Shema has accepted this LIE as truth. The acceptance of this lie has had quite an impact. Last week, Shema and another girl got into an argument. Although I couldn't understand what they were arguing over, I heard the other girl remind Shema that she is 'black.' Shema ran out upset, returning later that morning when she should have been in school. Apparently, she felt sick. Visiting her home added even more insight to the problem. Her mother complained to me "Shema is too dark."
What a lie Shema has accepted. What I lie I accept everytime I reject myself, trying to change my beauty. The TRUTH is that GOD IS BEAUTIFUL, and we were created in HIS image. The TRUTH is that after God created us, He proclaimed our goodness. WE ARE BEAUTIFUL, and that is the TRUTH whether we accept it or not. Satan is the king of lies and our minds are a battlefield for his operations (Rom 7:23). 2 Cor 10:5 leads us to "demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."
For you [God] created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you [God] because I [Lindsay] am beautifully and wonderfully made. [Lord] your works are wonderful, and I know [and accept] that as the TRUTH! from Psalm 139:13-14
Last week, I began to understand the effects of this. Among my students, Shema (a beautiful, energetic 10-year old) argues with me everytime I mention the word, "Shoondor" (beautiful) in regards to her. "No Auntie" she'll reply as she wrinkle her nose. Then she points to her skin and says, "Kalo" (black). The world's view has insulted Shema's true beauty, and the biggest problem is that Shema has accepted this LIE as truth. The acceptance of this lie has had quite an impact. Last week, Shema and another girl got into an argument. Although I couldn't understand what they were arguing over, I heard the other girl remind Shema that she is 'black.' Shema ran out upset, returning later that morning when she should have been in school. Apparently, she felt sick. Visiting her home added even more insight to the problem. Her mother complained to me "Shema is too dark."
What a lie Shema has accepted. What I lie I accept everytime I reject myself, trying to change my beauty. The TRUTH is that GOD IS BEAUTIFUL, and we were created in HIS image. The TRUTH is that after God created us, He proclaimed our goodness. WE ARE BEAUTIFUL, and that is the TRUTH whether we accept it or not. Satan is the king of lies and our minds are a battlefield for his operations (Rom 7:23). 2 Cor 10:5 leads us to "demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."
For you [God] created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you [God] because I [Lindsay] am beautifully and wonderfully made. [Lord] your works are wonderful, and I know [and accept] that as the TRUTH! from Psalm 139:13-14


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home