cheers to God
I had a wonderful thought the other day as I was staring out the bus window. The thought was probably prompted by the clear view that I wasn't the only one who experienced the adventure of Bangladesh. Seeing a man jump off a moving bus dodging traffic to get to the side of the road appears like quite a display of courage, but that is just as common a site as men getting a running start to get on the bus. I always thought the adventure was only new to the foreigners, but I now understand that the locals are not immune to it. Bangladesh is just as much an adventure for them as it is for me. The main difference is my advantage to escape it.
As I was realizing how crazy Bangladesh can be for everyone, I was overwhelmed by my ability to survive it. This time, I am clearly the disadvantaged one. I am the 'young one', new to the systems (or lack of), new to the language, new to the culture. It seems I have miraculously become quite independent. I am able to take a local bus across a city of 12 million (mostly non-English speaking) people. I can bargain my way to the fair price in a market (where the starting price is double for the white girl). I can even make egg curry and mango pickle. I have somehow achieved independence (a characteristic in myself I have always been a bit proud of). And in this world of irony and misconceptions, it is clear that my 'independence' is only proof of God's working (dependence). Without God's leading, without God's grace, without God's provision my survival in this environment is impossible.
To God be the glory!!
As I was realizing how crazy Bangladesh can be for everyone, I was overwhelmed by my ability to survive it. This time, I am clearly the disadvantaged one. I am the 'young one', new to the systems (or lack of), new to the language, new to the culture. It seems I have miraculously become quite independent. I am able to take a local bus across a city of 12 million (mostly non-English speaking) people. I can bargain my way to the fair price in a market (where the starting price is double for the white girl). I can even make egg curry and mango pickle. I have somehow achieved independence (a characteristic in myself I have always been a bit proud of). And in this world of irony and misconceptions, it is clear that my 'independence' is only proof of God's working (dependence). Without God's leading, without God's grace, without God's provision my survival in this environment is impossible.
To God be the glory!!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home