Thursday, April 05, 2007

Reading in Dhaka

Today was another wonderful day with the kids at the library, even though it was a bit different. I did not teach English today, which allowed the children to do their own activities. A few took the extra time to study and review their school work, but most turned to the books on the library shelf. Here in Bangladesh, a strange thing happens when 17 students find their own books to read: it gets LOUD. When the children read to themselves, they read aloud. The more students reading, the louder they have to read to maintain their concentration. Although this habit caught me by surprise, I decided it might be healthy for them to learn how to concentrate over noise, since Dhaka is not a peaceful place in the least. I guess with time, you get used to the chaos.

Recently, I have realized that I, too, am adjusting to Dhaka's craziness. A week ago, riding the bus seemed to be my most draining hours of the day, but now they are my most renewing. Thanks to a new found ability to concentrate, I have been able to spend my bus time in a productive way. I READ!!! [I am currently finishing The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancy. (Highly recommended!)] This works in my favor for many reasons: I don't criticise the driver's consistant road rage; I'm less aware of all the almost-accidents I could've been in; I don't notice all the people staring at me; and now have time to read all the books I 'wish I had time to read.' It has become for me a devotional time with God. To think that amidst the extreme chaos of a Dhaka city bus, i have found a place of peace is alone a testimony. God's peace can be found anywhere!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was totally reading that book on outreach. weird. love you!

Tuesday, April 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home