A Humbling House Visit
29th of March, 2007
Today was a highly anticipated day in the life of Najama. Today, Najama finally looked forward to taking me to her home. Although it is a big deal to bring a foreigner to your home in Bangladesh, the anticipation grew from several days of hearing me say, "Sorry, maybe tomorrow." Yesterday, after seeing her frustration and disappointment, I promised. Thankfully, I was able to keep my promise.
Najama is one of the 49 students 'enrolled' in the library ministry I work with daily. and, yes, i said 'enrolled.' Although most ministry is aimed to provide opportunity to those who are limited, these students are required to enroll for 2 very good reasons. First, a very small monthly fee must be collected (5 taka) for each student to have library priveledges. Free handouts have sent a negative message about responsibility in the past, so offering services for an almost-free cost is now neccessary. Secondly, there is just not enough space for all those interested. Thankfully, enrollment keeps those who are lucky to have the opportunity accountable. Najama is one of the faithful ones who rarely misses a day.
Today, Najama showed up early to make sure I had plenty of time for my visit. I wish you could have experienced the pride she showed as she introduced me to her family and showed me their home. After walking through the slum, it was evident that she had more to show than most living in the area. If you can imagine a mini-farm (or more realistically a cow petting zoo) in the midst of a city slum, that's what Najama had to show off. Although Najama was proud, I had to hide my shock, especially when I sat down in the tin-box they called home. The heat stole my breath and was unbearable, yet watching Najama's 9-month-old nephew comfortable swinging from a make-shift rocker (a sheet tied to the cross bars of the roof) left me wondering if I was the only one who noticed the heat. To think that I've complained about going home to a room without AC is quite embarrassing now. Thankfully, Najama's 5-year-old niece sang songs for me, and I became distracted by her cuteness. The family served me 7-up, cookies, and grapes. To make sure you understand this incredible hospitality, I want to point out that I don't even bother buying grapes for myself because they are so expensive. What a humbling experience.
What is most humbling is that this 10-year-old girl was so excited to bring me home and give me the best. The joy in giving was so genuine. It was a true reflection of Jesus. Jesus didn't give Himself over to the Jews concerned about His suffering. Instead, He was concerned about what was best for those He loved so much. Like Jesus, Sharma wasn't thinking about how having me over would add to their suffering. She gave proud that she was blessed enough to give me the best. BLESSED she truly is.
"Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the Kingdom of Heaven" --Jesus
Today was a highly anticipated day in the life of Najama. Today, Najama finally looked forward to taking me to her home. Although it is a big deal to bring a foreigner to your home in Bangladesh, the anticipation grew from several days of hearing me say, "Sorry, maybe tomorrow." Yesterday, after seeing her frustration and disappointment, I promised. Thankfully, I was able to keep my promise.
Najama is one of the 49 students 'enrolled' in the library ministry I work with daily. and, yes, i said 'enrolled.' Although most ministry is aimed to provide opportunity to those who are limited, these students are required to enroll for 2 very good reasons. First, a very small monthly fee must be collected (5 taka) for each student to have library priveledges. Free handouts have sent a negative message about responsibility in the past, so offering services for an almost-free cost is now neccessary. Secondly, there is just not enough space for all those interested. Thankfully, enrollment keeps those who are lucky to have the opportunity accountable. Najama is one of the faithful ones who rarely misses a day.
Today, Najama showed up early to make sure I had plenty of time for my visit. I wish you could have experienced the pride she showed as she introduced me to her family and showed me their home. After walking through the slum, it was evident that she had more to show than most living in the area. If you can imagine a mini-farm (or more realistically a cow petting zoo) in the midst of a city slum, that's what Najama had to show off. Although Najama was proud, I had to hide my shock, especially when I sat down in the tin-box they called home. The heat stole my breath and was unbearable, yet watching Najama's 9-month-old nephew comfortable swinging from a make-shift rocker (a sheet tied to the cross bars of the roof) left me wondering if I was the only one who noticed the heat. To think that I've complained about going home to a room without AC is quite embarrassing now. Thankfully, Najama's 5-year-old niece sang songs for me, and I became distracted by her cuteness. The family served me 7-up, cookies, and grapes. To make sure you understand this incredible hospitality, I want to point out that I don't even bother buying grapes for myself because they are so expensive. What a humbling experience.
What is most humbling is that this 10-year-old girl was so excited to bring me home and give me the best. The joy in giving was so genuine. It was a true reflection of Jesus. Jesus didn't give Himself over to the Jews concerned about His suffering. Instead, He was concerned about what was best for those He loved so much. Like Jesus, Sharma wasn't thinking about how having me over would add to their suffering. She gave proud that she was blessed enough to give me the best. BLESSED she truly is.
"Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the Kingdom of Heaven" --Jesus


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home