Village Life in Sri Lanka
Today I learned a lot about village culture in Sri Lanka, mostly about the tradition of celebrating young girls’ body changes that allow childbirth. Today we went to a puberty party for a 12 year old girl. I got the honor of shopping for a gift for her. I made a fool of myself in the city, trying to figure out what is a normal gift for this kind of thing. “Not birthday……Pu-ber-ty.” “Little girl, body changes, now woman. Celebration.” It’s so funny to think of the cultural differences. When I got my ‘womanhood,’ I cried and hid in my room for three days. It was my big secret until a year later when I finally accepted it as normal. Now my ‘womanhood’ is assumed, but it is still my monthly secret. In Sri Lankan villages, a girl’s newfound womanhood is broadcasted to the community and a big feast is held for everyone to come and celebrate. It is a celebration of the ability to have children, which is a good reason to celebrate. I think I’ll keep it my secret until I have a baby, then I will celebrate.
Another thing about Sri Lankan village life: Tarantulas. Yes, they are monthly visiters to the house we are staying at. A month ago, the man of the house caught one in their bedroom. Even a month after death, he warned us not to touch it as the hair may still be poisonous. Knowing I sleep with huge, hairy, poisonous spiders makes sleeping on the cement floor so much more comfortable. I can’t even bring myself to tell you about the snakes. Let’s just accept one creepy creature at a time.
Another thing about Sri Lankan village life: Tarantulas. Yes, they are monthly visiters to the house we are staying at. A month ago, the man of the house caught one in their bedroom. Even a month after death, he warned us not to touch it as the hair may still be poisonous. Knowing I sleep with huge, hairy, poisonous spiders makes sleeping on the cement floor so much more comfortable. I can’t even bring myself to tell you about the snakes. Let’s just accept one creepy creature at a time.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home